Download the Tour Registration Form:
Venice Carnival Photography Tour
February 11th – February 17th, 2023
7 Days – 6 nights
Venice is one of the most beautiful and unique cities in the world. Each year, during the Carnival festival, Venice comes alive as amazing models in ornate masks and incredible costumes descend upon the city to be admired and photographed. I am very excited to be leading this workshop again. This will be my 8th Carnival and I have been fortunate to form some wonderful friendships with many of the beautiful models, which will allow our group to have several opportunities for private shoots in locations away from the crowds.
The Venice Carnival Workshop is different from most tours in that there is no itinerary from the standpoint of Day 1, Day 2, etc. The weather changes, opportunities for private shoots arise, and our models often appear in specific areas throughout the week. Although some shoots will be pre-arranged long in advance, we will adjust our schedule on the fly in order to get the most out of our time there.
- Carnival model in a palace ballroom and on an incredible grand staircase
- Private shoot with masked model in a gondola
- Carnival models that congregate in the plaza at dusk and sunrise… the best time of day in Venice and the least crowded
- Burano Island, a boat ride from the main island… a truly amazing place with rows of colorful houses, bridges and canals
- Models in front of San Gorgio palace at sunset – weather permitting
- We also know some great lesser known city locations and will arrange some shoots away from the crowds
- City shots, windows and textures for stand-alone images and compositing
I will also lead sessions on:
- Composition, including “breaking the rules”
- Basic Lightroom and Photoshop
- Nik Filters
- We will have the opportunity to do a group critique of images shot and processed during the trip
- Some basic steps to compositing – I will also supply a PDF document with step by step instructions for you to take home with you so you can follow along and practice these steps.
SKILL LEVEL AND EQUIPMENT:
Although experience is an obvious advantage, this workshop is open to photographers of all skill levels. In fact, it is a great opportunity to learn! I have a low instructor-to-participant ratio and will do more than just get you to the right locations… I will assist you with composition and shooting, for those interested. At minimum, you will want to be familiar with your camera dials and functions – such as ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture Controls.
You will want lenses in the wide-angle and portrait range.. Additionally, an on-camera flash is important for adding a touch of light to the models. An off-camera flash/trigger combination can be useful in certain situations but is optional. Bring your laptop with Photoshop, Lightroom or Bridge. Nik Filters will also be important for post-processing sessions. Bring enough memory cards… I suggest at least 100 gigs or more. Extra camera batteries are always a good idea. And, of course, bring a tripod.
TRANSPORTATION AND LOGISTICS:
Making your air arrangements. The workshop begins at 6:00pm on February 15, 2020 with a group welcome dinner. The workshop ends on February 21 after an optional sunrise shoot and breakfast in the morning. You can make your ongoing travel arrangements for any time on March 1st. Please note that airport transportation costs to and from hotel is included if you are arriving on the dates of the beginning and end of tour. Should you wish to choose to arrive outside of tour dates, airport transfers will be at your own expense.
As you probably already know, you can’t drive around Venice. So, we’ll be walking a fair amount and taking the public water taxis. Some of the walking will be up and down stairs when crossing Venice’s bridges. Additionally, the weather can be a bit chilly or cold in February, but usually not cold enough to snow.
DETAILS AND TOUR COSTS:
|Operator:||Renee Doyle Photography|
|Duration :||7 days, 6 nights|
|Price Single Use Room||USD 4,850|
|Single Room Supplement:||USD 850|
|Deposit:||Non-Refundable USD $1,000 and a completed Registration Form to reserve your spot|
|Balance due 120 days prior to tour commencement|
Important – See “Tour Policies” for information on payments due and refund policy.
|February 19th – February 25th 2022
|Maximum 6 participants|
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE :
- Breakfasts at hotel
- Welcome dinner
- Farewell dinner
- Transport from/to airport by public bus for those arriving and departing on start and finish tour dates (otherwise airport transfers are at own expense)
- One week public water taxi
- Fees for arranged shoots
- Photo instruction & critiques.
If you prefer a private water taxi from/to the airport, I can arrange this for an additional fee.
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE :
- Airfare to and from Venice
- Transportation to/from the airport on any other day than the first/last day of the tour
- Meals other than those noted
- Passport and visa costs
- Travel insurance
TOUR POLICIES :
A Registration Form including the Acknowledgement of Risk, Waiver and Release of Liability Agreement must be signed by each member at registration, prior to the trip. See the Registration Form for additional details on policy and limitation of liability not included here. Renee Doyle Photography and its Agents act only as agents for the passenger in regard to travel including, but not limited to, sightseeing, meals, lodging, transportation, and all other services whether by railroad, motorcar, motor coach, boat, ship or aircraft and they assume no liability for injury, damage, loss, accident, delay or irregularity which may be occasioned either by reason of defect in any vehicle or for any reason whatsoever, or through the acts or default of any company or person engaged in conveying the passenger or in carrying out the arrangements of the trip. They can accept no responsibility for losses or additional expenses due to delay or changes in air or other services, sickness, weather, strike, war, volcanic eruption, terrorist acts, political unrest, quarantine or other causes. All such losses or expenses will have to be borne by the passenger, as trip fees provide for arrangements only for the times and locations stated. Baggage is at the owner’s risk entirely.
I suggest you purchase emergency medical treatment and travel insurance.
CANCELLATION POLICY :-
Losing money is not fun. For that reason, if you have to cancel for any reason, you will get refunded 100% of the total amount paid (including deposit) in the following two cases ONLY:
1. If you cancel a trip in writing 150 days or more before the departure date, you will get refunded 100% of your payment.
2. If you cancel a trip in writing less than 150 days prior to the trip and the trip sells out completely (including replacing your spot), you will get refunded 100% of your payment.
However, selling the tour out is definitely not a guarantee, especially when you cancel closer to departure. Additionally, if you find someone else (a friend or family member, for example) not yet registered who would like to take your spot, you can transfer your deposit and payments to that person’s registration, provided they qualify for the trip and sign the registration form. Because I incur costs up-front, such as deposits (many non-refundable) for blocks of hotel rooms and local tour operators and transportation, if you have to cancel for any reason (medical or other… any reason) you will receive refunds based on the following sliding scale (all cancellations must be in writing):
- For cancellations 120-149 days before departure date: you will get 75% of your total payments (including deposits) refunded
- For cancellations 90-119 days before departure date: you will get 50% of your total payments (including deposits) refunded
- For cancellations 89 days or less before departure date: you will not get a refund No partial refunds are made for unused portions or services of a trip for any reason.